Thursday, May 21, 2015

Sketching creative people as they create



As a continuation of a goal to sketch more people on location, I have set myself a task to try and capture the focus of people set about their work. A sketch of the pastry chef at Pana Chocolate in Alexandria, through the glass walled kitchen was the first.



Next was my friend and artist Fiona Verity and her lovely Labrador Sunny in Fiona's Brookvale Studio. Fiona's work is as colourful and energetic as she is, so it was a joy to develop a sketch and at the same time witness an ocean collage emerge on the wall. So much so, that I have resolved to sketch many more creative people at work during the year.
 
 
My third sketch was the result of a morning with glass carver Kathy Elliot. Her husband Ben Edols creates the blown glass vessel and then brings it to their home studio where Kathy carves and creates surface designs.  Kathy has admirable strength and focus in addition to her skill, as she stood carving the heavy vessel at the lathe for the full hour I sketched! You can see more about the process of their beautiful work on this video.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful work Chantal. I'm continually impressed and inspired by your artistic journey.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, Chantal and what a wonderful idea to sketch other creative folk at work. Sunny looks like he/she is lying down on the job a little...hehe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing more creative folk along side me.,

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome