Saturday, September 11, 2010

Tutorial: How to make a Woodland Deer Pop-Up Card.




This Woodland Deer Pop-Up Card is simple and elegant. Here are instructions for how to make the cuts and folds to create the pop-up card and decorate it.  Included is a template of the shapes I have designed for this card.

The card takes about 60 - 90 mins. Most of this time is due to the design of the animals and tree.  You could make a simpler card in 30 mins once you understand the basics and free hand draw your own designs. This is a good time to use offcuts of paper you may have lying about as you generally use only small pieces for the decoration.

The dimensions of the finished card are 14cm x 14cm (5 1/2" x 5 1/2").  If you choose to make a different size card then you may need to tweak the measurements I provide to suit your card.



Items required
Folded card with envelope - this card will be the outside over of your pop up card
White card for insert / pop up structure
Green paper for tree
Brown paper for deer
Scissors
Glue stick
Pencil
Black Pen
White Acrylic paint
Paint brush
Tracing paper (if you wish to print out and trace the design I have included below)



As an indication of size, my finished tree is about 10cm (4") wide. So on my 14cm (5 1/2") wide card I have a margin of 4cm (1 1/2") on the right of the tree.




Step 1  Trace the open shape of your cover card onto the sheet of white card. Cut out the white card. I'll refer to this as the pop-up's insert.




Step 2  Fold the insert card in half. On the fold line, from the right edge, draw a box 4cm (1 1/2") wide and 3cm (1 1/4") high.

As in the diagram above, make a cut up the left side of the box. Then fold the square up along the top line of the box, as seen in the image below.  Fold the card back to it's original position and open the card.





Step 3 With your insert card now open, pull the box towards yourself so it looks like the card above.  Now close the card back over, leaving the box pulled forward. Turn the insert card around so that once again the folded edge is closest to you and the area you have been working on is in the bottom right corner.



Step 4  Now in only the top layer you need to make a smaller version of what you have just completed. Draw a box 2cm (3/4") x 2cm (3/4") on the next fold line. Only cut the left side of the small box and then fold along the top line of the box so it appears like the picture above. 

Fold small box back to original position and open card.



Step 5   Place finger behind crease of small box and pull forward. You are now ready to add designs to your card : )



Step 6  Tree. Cut out your tree and glue it to the card as in diagram above.



Step 7  Deer. I've put them on the template sheet in reverse (facing right) so that when you trace them, you can flip the paper over and transfer straight onto the brown paper (facing left). Cut them out. As you can see below, use white acrylic paint to: add spots on back, highlight ear, eye, under chin, down neck, under chest, under tail and inside of legs.

Whilst the white paint dries you can do Step 8. Paint dry? Use your black pen to draw eye, nose and some subtle outlines and shading on each deer.



Step 8  Cut a strip of brown paper about 15cm (6") and glue it on the front of your cover card, folding the excess around each side for a neat finish. The insert card will cover the excess when its glued into place.  Your can write the appropriate salutation eg. "Happy Birthday", "Thank you", "Think of you" directly onto this strip or onto thinner, lighter strip for contrast which you can glue on top of the brown strip.



Step 9  When gluing the insert into the cover, I like to glue the bottom half into place first. Once that is aligned glue the top half into place. It's best to let the card dry closed. If you try to push the card out open and flat to dry it may not close neatly later.


Done!

Please note that the design of the deer and tree for this tutorial have been created by me (http://chantalvincentart.blogspot.com/) . All photos belong to me. I would love for you to share my tutorial but please be sure to link it back to this blog. Thanks for reading my tutorial. Please feel free to ask any questions in the comments or email me.

 

27 comments:

  1. Oh i love this, i'll so take this to school when we do Christmas Craft (yes, i'm THAT mother) & get away from all the ugly style cards. Just gorgeous, thanks for this awesome idea. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is great! What a nice straightforward tutorial. I've always wanted to try a pop-up card!

    Thanks for linking to A Round Tuit!

    Hope you have a great week!

    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making pop-up card looks very fun. I think I have to try it. Maybe making it with my some of my sketches. I have so many sketches I don't know what to use them for. Maybe pop-up cards can be an idea?

    Thank you so much for your nice comment on my blog. I was so happy about having a comment from Australia. I love Australia and the kind people there. I have traveled from Darwin to Ayers Rock and Cains to Sydney.It was an a fantastic journey.

    Have a nice day Chantal:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chantal, great to see you on Craft Schooling Sunday with this wonderful project! Just knowing how to assemble a pop-up card is great knowledge for kids to make some simpler designs too! all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This card is just beautiful Chantal, you've done a wonderful job. The tutorial is great too, explains how to make the card perfectly.

    Have a wonderful week.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chantal, thanks for leaving such a nice comment on my blog! I love the cards, thanks for sharing this great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great project. What a special card to receive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply amazing!! You're just way creative! :) I'm happy to be your newest follower of your delightful blog and I'd love to have you as a friend at Frou Frou Decor! I'd also like to invite you to link your sweet creations up at my link party each Friday! Hope to see you there!!
    Hugs,
    ~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a little girl in my life who can't get enough of deer... I'll have to file this idea away for her birthday!

    Thanks for linking with Sugar & Spice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think (with a little snow and ornaments added) that I've just found my Christmas cards. Thanks SO MUCH....these are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all of your lovely comments. MessyMissy, I had to restrain myself from glitter and a red nose on Rudolf :) Hope you have fun making your Christmas cards! Cheers, Chantal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so interesting !!
    and i love the decor you have chosen for this one ! i love deers !

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know I never knew how those pop up cards were made. Seems pretty easy now that you've taken me through it step by step. The deer in the forest is such a pretty design and kind of unexpected and unique. The details you added to the deer really make it look realistic. Thank you for joining us at A Crafty Soiree! I hope you'll come back next week and link up again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tutorial ! Now I must try some pop-up cards

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing on Sister Sister Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! That's a truly stunning card!

    ReplyDelete
  17. how great! i saw your feature on jill's around tuit party, and it looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea! I am saving a link to this for later!

    I just stumbled on a winter crafts carnival and thought I'd pass it on to you since it just started and you could be right up there at the top of it.

    http://marfmom.com/archives/2516

    ReplyDelete
  19. GREAT tutorial! Thanks SO much for joining in on Thrilling Thursdays @ Paisley Passions. I hope to see you again this week :)
    ~Lori S.
    Thrilling Thursdays @Paisley Passions

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brilliant! Thx for linking up to A Crafty Soiree last week... hope to see you back tomorrow. I'm your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have the patience of a saint! What a great card. Love your attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just saw this featured on The Crafty Crow's facebook page for Christmas. It's a beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow! fab n cute! <3 it .... =)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome